This slice makes a wonderful treat for special occasions, it is one of our family favourites for Christmas along with peanut butter balls and choc chip cookies. It can be made a couple of days ahead and kept in the refrigerator, or alternatively keeps well in the freezer too. This slice can easily be made gluten free if you just use gluten free flour in place of ordinary flour, I find the Aldi brand of gluten free flour the best tasting and most economical. All of these home made treats will cost a fraction of the price of bought alternatives as well as taste a thousand times better! Another benefit of baking special treats for special occasions like Christmas is that you can include your children in the baking experience and make some lovely family memories and traditions. If you are trying to be careful with your grocery budget now is a good time to keep an eye on the supermarket brochures because sometimes they have Cadbury chocolate chips or melts on half price. When I see things like that on sale I buy several packets to use in my Christmas baking. I haven’t paid full price for choc melts in years! Unfortunately I forgot to take a photo of this slice last time I made it, so I have put a photo of the caramel nut slice which is similar except with a chocolate topping not nuts!
- 1 c SR flour or gluten free SR flour
- ½ c sugar
- ½ c dessicated coconut
- 100 g butter, melted
- 1 can condensed milk
- 3 tbsp brown sugar
- 30 g butter
- 200g Cadbury choc melts
- Place dry ingredients into a mixing bowl.
- Add melted butter and mix with a spoon until combined.
- Press into a lined slice tray with the back of a spoon.
- Bake at 180 C/170 C (fan forced) for 20 mins or until slightly browned.
- Place all filling ingredients into a small saucepan.
- Stir over low heat until butter has melted and sugar has dissolved.
- Pour over base and bake for a further 20 mins.
- Place chocolate melts in a microwave proof bowl and melt for a couple of minutes on medium heat.
- Once melted, spoon onto cooled slice and spread to cover.
- Refrigerate until set.