This recipe came about as a way to use up some left over apple sauce which was in the fridge. The apple sauce was actually from our last year’s crop of apples, which I had stewed and frozen in small quantities. This cake is gluten free, but you can use regular flour if you like. I like the Aldi brand of gluten free flour, it not only tastes great but is the most economical. This cake makes a delicious tea cake or desert and is especially lovely served warm.
- 125 g butter
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 eggs
- ¾ cup self raising flour or gluten free self raising flour
- ¾ cup almond meal
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1 cup apple sauce
- ½ cup walnuts
- Beat butter and sugar until light and creamy.
- Add eggs and beat until combined.
- Add flour, almond meal, baking powder, vanilla and cinnamon.
- Mix until well combined.
- Place mixture into a lined slice tray.
- Pour apple sauce on top of cake mix and swirl through with a knife.
- Sprinkle walnuts on top.
- Bake at 180 C/170 C (fan forced) for approx 45 mins or until skewer comes out clean.