Here’s a nice, easy, set and forget (well, almost) dinner idea. As the weather starts to cool down, it is a great time to get out the slow cooker. If you don’t own one, it is worth thinking about investing in one. They are pretty reasonable to buy, and really make cooking hearty, healthy and economical meals a breeze! I particularly like recipes like this one, that you just throw all the ingredients in and switch it on! This particular recipe has a lovely flavour, but is very mild, so it makes a great family meal.
- 500-600 g boneless chicken breast
- 1 large onion, sliced
- 4 carrots, sliced
- 1 tsp minced garlic
- 3 tsp sweet or smoked paprika
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 x 400 g can diced tomatoes
- 1/4 can of water (rinse out tomato can)
- little ground black pepper
- ¾ cup of sour cream or natural yoghurt
- Grease slow cooker insert.
- Place sliced onion and carrot in the bottom of slow cooker.
- Sprinkle garlic, paprika, salt and pepper over the veggies.
- Add the can or tomatoes and the water, and give the whole thing a mix.
- Place whole chicken breasts on top and place the lid on the slow cooker.
- Turn slow cooker on high and cook for 3-4 hours or on low for 6-8 hours depending on your slow cooker.
- Towards the end of cooking time I remove the whole chicken breasts and cut them into smaller pieces, then return the chicken to the slow cooker for the final hour of cooking. At this time give the sauce a mix.
- Mix in the sour cream/yoghurt just before serving.
Serve with noodles, rice or mashed potatoes.
This sauce is quite thin, if you prefer a thicker sauce you could add 1 ½ tbsp of flour or gluten free flour at the same time you put in the spices.