Here is a wonderful slice which is easy to make, thrifty and relatively healthy. I had some homemade jam left over from last year, which I wanted to use up; as well as quite a supply of whole meal flour, which needed to be used sooner rather than later. Today I solved both problems and made a double quantity of this lovely slice, and have cut it into pieces to freeze for later use. I find it is really handy to have some homemade baked goods in the freezer for when you have unexpected visitors or you are running a bit short of time.
- 1 1/2 cups SR flour or wholemeal SR flour
- 200 g softened butter
- 1/2 cup rolled oats
- 1 cup coconut
- 1 cup sugar
- 3/4 cup jam of any kind
- Combine dry ingredients in a large mixing bowl.
- Add chopped up softened butter.
- Rub butter into dry ingredients until mixture becomes like crumble.
- Place half mixture into lined slice pan and press down with the back of a spoon.
- Pour warmed jam over base (warm gently in a small saucepan).
- Sprinkle remaining crumble mixture on top.
- Bake at 180 C / 350 F for 30 mins or until golden brown.
- Cool in pan then cut into squares.
This slice freezes well, just wrap in cling wrap or place in an airtight freezer container.