This recipe is a wonderful twist on the traditional pavlova. Although it may appear a bit tricky, it is actually not very difficult to do. This makes a great dessert for special occasions, which can be made a day ahead and kept in the fridge. I may do this for a desert at Christmas, since it looks and tastes spectacular and yet can be prepared ahead. Despite its fancy appearance, this desert is really very thrifty too, especially since our chickens produced the eggs and we grew the passionfruit in the back yard! Just a note if you are new to making meringue, it is very important that you separate the eggs carefully and don’t get any yolk in your egg whites, or your meringue will not work. Apart from that this recipe is very easy to make, so why not give it a try!
- 4 egg whites
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 300 ml cream
- 1/4 cup passionfruit pulp
- 1 tbsp sugar
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- Beat egg whites until stiff.
- Gradually add in sugar beating continually until it becomes very stiff and glossy.
- Spread meringue into a Swiss roll tin lined with baking paper.
- Sprinkle with almonds and sugar and cinnamon mixture.
- Bake at 180 C / 350 F for 10 minutes.
- Turn out onto cake cooler lined with baking paper and cool.
- Add passionfruit to cream and then whip until quite firm.
- Spread meringue with whipped passionfruit cream.
- Roll up and chill.