This is a versatile meal which can be prepared in roughly 20 minutes and then left to cook in the slow cooker until it is time to serve. The meatballs can then be served with pasta or our family favourite, made into meatball subs on fresh rolls. There is either a super easy version in which you do not need to brown the meatballs before placing them in the slow cooker. Alternatively, you can add the step of browning the meatballs slightly in a skillet and then adding them to the slow cooker. I sometimes do the easy version if I am short on time or don’t want to wash up the skillet! Browning the meatballs will make a bit of a difference, but the non browned version works well too. You can make these meatballs gluten free by using gluten free bread, if you are making gluten free I would suggest browning the meatballs as it does seem to make them hold together better.
- 1 kg / 2lbs beef mince
- 1 egg
- 3 tsp dried oregano
- 2 slices of bread diced finely
- 2 x 700 g bottles Passata
- 1 cup water
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp dried basil
- 2 large cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tbsp virgin olive oil
- Combine beef, egg, diced up bread, 1 tsp oregano in a large bowl
- Mix together with clean hands and form into golf ball sized meatballs
- Either place into greased slow cooker or brown meatballs slightly in a skillet and then place into slow cooker
- Pour the passata and water over the meatballs
- Sprinkle herbs, garlic, salt and olive oil on top
- Cover and cook on high for 4 hours or low for 8 hours, (you may need to alter cooking times according to your slow cooker)
- Once meatballs have been cooking for an hour or so use a small spoon to gently mix the herbs in a little, being careful not to break the meatballs.
Serve with some of the sauce on fresh bread rolls to make a delicious sub or else serve over pasta.