This chilli recipe is a great versatile family meal, it is healthy, thrifty and delicious. You can serve it with rice, use it to fill tacos along with some salad, or use it as a topping for nachos. You can adjust the amount of chilli to suit your family. To make a really kid friendly version, only use a ¼ tsp of chilli to begin with and then if you think that is too mild, you can always add more next time. You can also “hide” any number of veggies you like with this recipe. I used 4 extra large carrots, but you could add a diced capsicum or some finely grated zucchini if you like. This recipe makes a double quantity, so I generally freeze the second half for an easy meal another day.
- 1 kg beef mince
- 3 onions (diced)
- 4 carrots (finely grated)
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- ½ – 1 tsp chilli powder
- 2 tsp paprika
- 3 tsp cumin
- 2 tsp salt
- 2 x 400g can of diced tomatoes
- 1 can water
- Brown onions, garlic and beef in a small amount of oil in a large boiler.
- Add spices and salt and stir.
- Add tomatoes, water and carrots.
- Stir together, then bring to the boil.
- Lower heat to low and simmer for about an hour, stirring every now and then.
Serve with rice, in tacos or with corn chips!