This is a great basic recipe for a simple yet healthy family meal. Today I only had about 300 gm of mince, so I substituted some more vegetables for the extra mince. This recipe works really well in a Dutch oven because you use the same pan to brown the ingredients and cook the casserole. If you don’t have a Dutch oven you can also make this in a frying pan on the stove top, but you will need to stir it occasionally as it simmers. I prefer to use a Dutch oven so that I can prepare the casserole then put it in the oven and forget about it. You could add a little curry powder to this recipe to make a tasty variation, if you like.
- splash of olive oil
- 500 g beef mince
- 1 onion, chopped
- 4 stalks celery, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tbsp flour or gluten free flour
- 4 carrots, diced
- 1 zucchini, diced
- 1 ½ cups water
- 1 ½ tsp salt
- Place oil in Dutch oven, then brown mince, celery, onion and garlic.
- Remove from heat and stir in flour.
- Add carrots and zucchini or whatever veg you like.
- Add water and salt and stir everything together.
- Cover and bake on 180 C / 350 F for 1 hour, or if you are making the fry pan version, simmer for roughly half and hour, stiring regularly.
Serve with rice or mashed potato.