Meat loaf is a great simple meal that the whole family will love. It is relatively inexpensive and easy to make. The prep time is around 10 minutes, then just pop it in the oven and you are done. I usually put in some roast potatoes and pumpkin at the same time and then can leave the whole dinner pretty well unattended until popping on some peas or beans in the last 10 minutes. I have made this recipe gluten free; however you can easily substitute regular bread and then roll in breadcrumbs if you do not need to eat gluten free.
- 1 kg beef mince
- 2 slices gluten free bread, diced very finely
- 1 egg
- 1 carrot, grated finely
- 1 small onion, diced finely
- Salt and pepper to taste
- ¼ cup almond meal
- ¼ cup parmesan cheese
- Combine beef, egg, gluten free bread, carrot and onion in a large bowl.
- Add a little salt and pepper
- Squish all the ingredients together with clean hands and form into two logs
- Combine almond meal and parmesan cheese on a large plate, then roll logs in mixture to coat
- Place meat loaves in a large baking dish which has been greased with a little oil
- Bake on 180 C / 350 F for 1 ¼ hours
- Remove from the oven and let rest for 5-10 minutes before slicing (this will make it easier to slice)
Meat loaf is great served with baked veggies, it also makes good economic sense to use the oven to full capacity when you have it going!